Goa is very famous not only in India but all over the world and is the most favorite place for tourists. Amazing art of Konkani culture is seen in Goa and people are attracted by the architecture here.
Facts & Information About Goa
- If we calculate the per capita income of all the states of India, then in this case the state of Goa is one of the richest states.
- The smallest state of India is Goa, as it is only 3702 square kilometers in size.
- When India got independence in 1947, Goa did not get independence.
- Rather, in 1961, the Indian Army had liberated Goa from evil people like the Portuguese.
- Because of this, apart from August 15, Independence Day is also celebrated in Goa on December 19.
- According to statistics, the Portuguese ruled Goa from 1510 to 1961, almost 451 years, the Portuguese had oppressed Goa.
- Ram Manohar Lohia ji has made a big contribution in the independence of Goa, after which he was also banned for 5 years, due to which he could not come to Goa and he also had to go to jail.
- Then the support of Navy, Army and Air Force was taken to liberate Goa.
- On 19 December 1961, India attacked the Portuguese in Goa by starting a mission named Operation Vijay.
- After this only within 36 hours the Governor General of Portugal, Silva surrendered and in 1987, Goa was declared a state of India.
- Some interesting facts have come to the fore after Goa got independence, such as the person who was born in Goa before 1961 has got dual citizenship, he has citizenship of both Portugal and India.
- The largest portion of Goa’s income comes from tourism.
- The sea beach of Goa and the cheapest and best liquor found here are very famous all over India.
- The Pandavas lived in a cave in North Goa during the Mahabharata period, after which the place is still known as the Pandava cave.
- The English medium school was first established in Goa, which was named St. Joseph’s High School.
- The first printing press not only of whole India but also of Asia at that time was started in Goa, which was started in St. Paul’s College.
- The oldest medical college in the whole of Asia was established in Goa in the 18th century under Portuguese rule.
- Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar, father of famous singers Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle, is also from Goa, as his family lived in a village named Mangeshi in Goa.
- Once the former Chief Minister of Goa, Manohar Parrikar also said that Sachin Tendulkar and Sunil Gavaskar are from Goa, because their family deities are located in Goa.
- Major sport of the state of Goa is football, major fruit is cashew, major tree is coconut tree and major flower is Jasmine flower.
- in ancient times, Goa was known as a place of worship and spirituality.
- On the day of Holi, Shivratri, Navratri and Diwali, many places in Goa celebrate with pomp and worship of God is done.
- Konkani food of Goa is famous all over the world.
There are many more interesting and amazing facts to know about Goa. Goa itself is associated with a lot of mystery. I hope you must have liked our post.